February 4, 2012

Star Trek: Galilea #2 "Ship Shape"

Star Trek: Galilea was a fan audio drama series I took part in. I was a member of the writing staff throughout the series, and played Commander Valkon.

Check it out here.

[Note - 3/12/2014] This is the first of two episodes I wrote. Below is my original first draft. It went through a rewrite before Kevin gave it a final polish. I decided to include this one here, despite it being a bit rough, because it has a couple significant differences from the final show. First, Dr. Kraczinski was originally written as a male. Second, there's the setup for a subplot involving the engineering crew working with holo copies of themselves which we decided to strip out until we could focus on it in season two, which was going to be more episodic in structure. The three-part episode was going to be called "Three-By-Three Way". I worked out most of the story beats and may go ahead and write it one day.



(ROMULAN BRIDGE SOUNDS)

ROMULAN 1
Sir, the volley of torpedoes just exploded in the atmosphere.

VALKON
(SIGH) [Romulan curse] It's that blasted energy field, isn't it.

ROMULAN 2
Yes, sir. It neutralized the shielding on the torpedos. They broke up on entry.

VALKON
I want options!

(PAUSE)

ROMULAN 3
Sir, we know our shuttles are durable enough to pass through the atmosphere without additional shielding. Fill one with explosives, crash it into the target.

ROMULAN 2
Who would fly it? We can't guide it remotely through this energy field and we don't know how well the autopilot will hold up with all of the sensors scrambled.

VALKON
I'll have one of you fly it if you can't come up with anything better.

ROMULAN 1
Overload the warp core and drop it on them.

ROMULAN 3
Madness!

VALKON
That would leave us limping on impulse.

ROMULAN 1
The Federation ship is already on its way. In this sector, it wouldn't take them very long to get another warp core to us.

VALKON
Which puts us as their mercy. Think of it, a Romulan ship that hobbled itself and begged the Federation to drag it to safety.

ROMULAN 1
It could also be a possitive boost to our image following the treaty. A bit of noble self sacrifice on our part could win us some good will.

VALKON
If you want a noble sacrifice then you should be the one to pilot the shuttlecraft full of explosives. That would solve all my problems. The threat will be neutralized, we'll still have our warp core, and I won't have to listen to another word of your nonsensical drivel! Besides, have you ever considered how exactly one would aim a purged warp core, or whether or not the energy field would simply neutralize it as well? See that this man is demoted a rank.

ROMULAN 3
Sir.

ROMULAN 2
Sir, what if we use a shuttlecraft to bring explosives down to the surface, then assemble them into a bomb. There'd be no loss of crew and we'd keep all our crafts intact.

VALKON
Lacks theatricality, but sounds like the most sensible option. Make it so. And hurry. We need to be the heroes of this moment before the Federation swoops in and beats us to the punch.

(OPENING SEQUENCE)

ENGLESTADT
Personal log. [Stardate]. I'm still trying to wrap my head around our mission. First contact with the Romulans. Lord help these poor souls taking their first steps into the cosmos. I can't let myself dwell on it. It's the mission and I'll see it through as best I'm able.... Or I won't and add yet another unique story to my colored record. At least my first assignment will be easy. Pre takeoff inspection. Dot the "i"s, cross the "t"s, check the little boxes on my readout as I make sure everyone is where they should be. I don't forsee any strikes on my record coming as a result of this.

(CARGO BAY NOISES - BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW HOW NOISY CARGO BAYS CAN BE)

KRACZYNSKI
Listen here, woman, your interference in my experiment is deplorable and I personally guarantee I'll see you demoted so far down the chain that everyone who's ever had contact with you will revert to a failing mark on their entrance exams!

ENGLESTADT
Sir, that's not--

KRACZYNSKI
No, it's not necessary! No part of this persecution is necessary! I have work to do and all you're adding to the experiment is a fat brick wall that I promise I'll blow down with whatever--

TORAE
(snickers)

KRACZYNSKI
I'm sorry, did I say something funny, boy? Something that sank into that backwater perception of flickering sky lights and primitive deification that left your slave race rising up through little more than lowly terrorist thug tactics and--

ENGLESTADT
Dr. Kraczinski! You're--

KRACZYNSKI
Don't you dare think you can lecture me you sultry little--

(SOMETHING WHAM!S)

ENGLESTADT
You are out of line, Kraczinski! Whether it meets the personal approval of your ego or not, I earned this rank though work and skill, just like Mr. Torae earned a place in a department that would might very likely benefit from a lack of you.

KRACZYNSKI
Now see here--

ENGLESTADT
No, you see here. Look around you. This is a starship manned by [number of people], every single one of whom is here to serve the Federation, not section off an entire cargo bay just so you can have a private office to conduct your own personal experiments and--

KRACZYNSKI
You'll never understand the intricacies of Rectimian Fields.

ENGLESTADT
If you interrupt me one more time, I'll make sure the recording I've been making of this conversation is attached to the report I'm forwarding to the Captain the moment I leave this room. That report is already going to feature a very unflattering portrayal of you, Kraczynski, so don't tempt me to let go of the little sliver of my restraint that'll keep the Captain from leaving you behind on Deep Space Nine.

KRACZYNSKI
Fine. But this isn't the end of it, Commander Englestadt.

ENGLESTADT
No, it ends when you appologize to Mr. Torae.

KRACZYNSKI
You'll have to wait an awfully long time for that to--

ENGLESTADT
You have thirty seconds.

KRACZYNSKI
Now hang on just a--

ENGLESTADT
Twenty-seven.

KRACZYNSKI
Fine! Mr. Torae. (NOT EVEN HIDING THE SARCASM) I most sincerely and humbly apologize.

ENGLESTADT
That's the end of this, Kraczinsky. Now return to your assigned station and make due with the space you've been allotted, just like all the rest of us are more than happy to do.

KRACZYNSKI
It's Doctor, Commander. Doctor Kraczinsky.

ENGLESTADT
I'll honor your title when you've earned it, Kraczinsky, now have a nice day. Mr. Torae, walk with me.

(FOOTSTEPS. DOOR OPENS AND CLOSES)

TORAE
I'm beginning to suspect Dr. Kraczynski has a thing against Bajorans.

ENGLESTADT
I'll say. How are things in Biometrics?

TORAE
They have me doing grunt work, Commander.

ENGLESTADT
Well, you are the intern. Grunt work is what you’re supposed to be doing.

TORAE
I guess, but I signed up for the chance to study new alien worlds, new life and culture and geology. I didn’t think I’d be ordered around by a bigot with a tricorder. I always dreamed of travelling beyond Bajor and making new discoveries and, I won't lie, I wept when I was selected for the biological survey of a new planet. But so far all they've let me do is clean out the xenoscopic genetic sequencer and fetch coffee for the "real scientists". And now Dr. Kraczinski wants me to get rid of my "silly earing".

ENGLESTADT
That's not an order he's entitled to give, and if he makes it an issue, let me know. But can I give you some advice?

TORAE
Please.

ENGLESTADT
My first assignment was aide to the First Officer on the Durandal, and it mostly involved serving tea at staff meetings and adjusting ambience for political functions. Internships are supposed to acclimate you to the environment, not the practise itself. Yes, it seems meaningless now, but I learned more about Command and Operations interning on a starship than I ever did at the Academy.

TORAE
I'll keep that in mind, Commander. Thank you.

ENGLESTADT
You should get back to biometrics, Mr. Torae. We'll be assigning duties soon and you never know what opportunities might come your way.

(LIFT OPENS)

ENGLESTADT
Now wish me luck. I'm headed for Engineering.

TORAE
(SNICKER) I've already been hearing stories.

ENGLESTADT
Yeah, well you didn't go through the Academy with the person they're telling stories about.

(LIFT CLOSES)

(MUSIC TRANSITION)

(ENGINEERING ROOM NOISERY)

CIELLE
Sir, I don't think the Galilea is eqipped for this sort of thing.

WALLACE
It'll work.

CIELLE
How do we support it externally to prevent it from burning up or getting torn off in atmospheric re-entry?

WALLACE
Easton.

EASTON
Wouldn't the shields prevent that?

WALLACE
Cielle.

CIELLE
Shields are at a provisional level during Blue Alert mode, which isn't enough to keep wind resistance away.

WALLACE
Easton.

EASTON
Um... actually, sir, I don't see why we need it. We already have battlecruiser-rated weaponry.

WALLACE
Anyone..... No? Braca? Jorgenson? None of you? (SIGH) Galilea is a wonderful ship. A magnificent beauty. I want to build a model of it just so I can watch it bob up and down in my bathtub like the legendary boat it's destined to be. It is, however, a tad on the petite side. This isn't the Excalibur, and it's sure as hell not the Enterprise. It's a Nova-class, which means we're slower, smaller, and just a tiny tad bit bunches of more vulnerable to attack. The girl's got teeth, sure, but Galilea's first weapon of choice is luck and it won't take her long to burn through all we can give her. Now, I want a show of hands, who remembers the Equinox files? (PAUSE) Good. Now who can figure out why I'm referencing them? (PAUSE) Cielle, why do only two of you have your hands up?

CIELE
I'm... not sure.

WALLACE
Fascinating. I see a study in this. Everyone remember to keep a log of all the times you disagree with yourself. I'm sure the psych department will give us an award. Anyways... where was I?

(SOMEWHERE AROUND NOWISH, A DOOR SHOULD QUIETLY BE HEARD OPENING AND CLOSING IN THE BACKGROUND. FAINT. DON'T CALL MUCH ATTENTION TO IT)

EASTON
Equinox fi--

WALLACE
(SNAPS FINGERS) Equinox files. Right. If Galilea runs into danger, we run and hide and play tricks to fool the enemy. If one accepts the possibility that we aren't instantly blown out of the water at the first enemy volley, we have no way of launching a powerful counter-offensive. We need a first strike and a guarantee that it'll land. Thus, Project Valkyrie.

ENGLESTADT
That's funny. I don't remember the Captain or I signing off on a project by that name.

WALLACE
Angie! I was wondering when you'd flutter down to my delicatessen of wonders. Crew, back to your stations!

ENGLESTADT
Don't call me Angie, Variel.

WALLACE
That's right. I heard the news! Commander Angie it is.

ENGLESTADT
Uh-uh.

WALLACE
Oh, come on. Really? You're really making me go there? (PAUSE WHERE WE CAN PRACTICALLY HEAR THE GLOWER, WITH BACKGROUND CHIRPS LIKE AWKWARD CRICKETS IN THE SILENCE) Fine. Commander Englestadt. Chief Engineer Variel Wallace reporting for duty! (HEAL CLICK)

ENGLESTADT
Knock it off, Wallace. I thought you were assigned to another ship.

WALLACE
I was, yeah. The Abrams. I'm sure you heard about its encounter with the Jem-Hadar.

ENGLESTADT
(GASP) All hands were lost. I'm so sorry, Variel.

WALLACE
My dumb luck, I had to be on leave to see my family at the time. Anyways, I don't like to talk about it. I transfered to a quieter boat before finding myself once again gracing your majestic presence.

ENGLESTADT
I'm still not letting you call me Angie.

WALLACE
So stubborn. I love it!

ENGLESTADT
I'm doing a final inspection before takeoff. Do I even want to know what you're up to?

WALLACE
Oh, I've got a diagnostic running. Or two. Nothing big.

ENGLESTADT
I noticed the holodeck was offline. Was there a problem with the installation?

WALLACE
Not all all. I custom wired it myself.

ENGLESTADT
Which is why it doesn't work?

WALLACE
It works, it's just being re-routed at the moment. (PAUSE) You really haven't noticed it yet, have you? Look around. Tell me what's off, Commander.

ENGLESTADT
(PAUSE) Your crew. I don't remember so many people being assigned to--

WALLACE
Look closer.

ENGLESTADT
(PAUSE) How?

WALLACE
Tell me what you see.

ENGLESTADT
You know what I see. You've doubled-- no, you've got, what, three of each crewmember working on different things? Are you using holograms?

WALLACE
Exactly! Though I have to admit I'm a little disappointed you didn't notice it quicker. See, I took a page from sickbay and ran holo projectors into most of the key rooms.

ENGLESTADT
Is there enough power for that?

WALLACE
Not all at once, but I can use it sporadically. Like now, when I can get three times the work done before takeoff.

ENGLESTADT
How are they programmed?

WALLACE
You'll love this. Easton!

EASTON
Sir.

WALLACE
No, the other Easton.

EASTON
Sir.

WALLACE
No no no, dammit, the real one! Yes! You! Get over here.

EASTON
Sir.

WALLACE
Take off your headband. There, see how the other Eastons are frozen, Commander? I'm using a neural weave, partially developed by a budy of mine at Medical, partially reverse engineered from some Delta Quadrant tech brought back on the Voyager, and tweaked with a little magic from these wonderful fingers of mine. You can put the band back on, Easton. Hurry, now. Scoot back to your duties.

ENGLESTADT
So it reads their minds?

WALLACE
Kinda. It feeds their mental processes into a subroutine that maps out a guideline for the program, essentially creating a constantly flowing copy of the mind. It's not sentient, but it's also not locked into the same chain of thoughts as the primary, which would suck as I'd constantly have three people on a single task. It allows the hologram to think the same way the primary would, even in a different situation.

ENGLESTADT
How many people can you copy at a time?

WALLACE
I've only got about a dozen bands. Which isn't to say I can't copy the whole ship. I can, but the system would burn out after a few minutes and the holograms would just be running on basic... wait, I think I see where you're going with this.

ENGLESTADT
Perfect way to create some confusion in the event of a hostile boarding.

WALLACE
Oh, how I've missed you! I'm definitely fiddling with that idea some more.

ENGLESTADT
Wait, why don't you have a dozen holograms of yourself running around?

WALLACE
I tried that, but it turned out to be a disaster. Nothing ever got done.

ENGLESTADT
Couldn't stand working with yourselves?

WALLACE
On the contrary, I fell in love with myselves. It was a rather turbulent affair. Didn't end well. I don't like to talk about it.

ENGLESTADT
Fair enough. What's Project Valkyrie?

WALLACE
It's... No. I'm not going to spoil this. I want to watch the wonderment fill your face. (BEEP) Take a look at the schematic. (PAUSE) That's not a look of a wonderment. Where's the wonderment, Commander?

ENGLESTADT
You always did have a flair for the dramatic.

(BEEPS)

WALLACE
What are you adding. Show me! (BEEPS END, PAUSE) Have I ever told you that I love the way your mind works?

ENGLESTADT
I wish I could return the compliment.

WALLACE
(MOCK WINCE)

ENGLESTADT
I want the plans finalized and the implementation prepped before we enter warp.

WALLACE
Sir, yes sir. (HEAL CLICK)

ENGLESTADT
As you were, Chief.

WALLACE
Ooo, I like the way you say Chief. Makes me all tingly.

ENGLESTADT
And Wallace? It's good to see you again.

WALLACE
(WHISPER) You too, Angie. Notice how I said that quietly so no one else would hear.

ENGLESTADT
(WHISPER) Thank you. (NORMAL VOICE) Now get back to work, Chief. I'll check in when we're under way.

(DOOR OPENS, CLOSES)

WALLACE
Computer! Go over these scematics and give me any issues you have with the math. I want nothing but the best for this ship!

COMPUTER
Calculating now.

WALLACE
Computer, have I ever told you how desperate I am to make love to you?

COMPUTER
Would you like to schedule a holodeck session?

WALLACE
Fast little minx, aren't you. Make it so, my sweet mistress of the cosmos! Music!

(IRISH ROCK)

WALLACE
Easton! Ciele! One of the both of you dance with me while I go over these numbers!

(MUSIC TRANSITION)

(BRIDGE SOUNDS)

GENNOC
Deep Space Nine reports they are ready to disengage, sir.

SURAK
Disengage, Mr. Gennoc. Thrusters only until we're clear of the station.

GENNOC
Aye, sir.

(LIFT OPENS)

SURAK
Commander. I didn't expect your first assignment to be so... eventful.

ENGLESTADT
I'm hoping you mean that in a good way, sir.

SURAK
Indeed. I've been looking over the specs you forwarded me of Wallace's proposals. It's unconventional, but highly promising.

ENGLESTADT
Wallace is a genius, when you can keep him on track.

SURAK
A little leeway goes a long way towards earing the respect of the crew, but I'm hesitant to let him run completely rampant. I'll have a word with his Engineering staff and make sure they use subtle prods to keep him focussed. Now, about Kraczinski.

ENGLESTADT
Did I overstep, Commander?

SURAK
On the contrary, I knew he would be a difficult presence to bear, but very few people understand the interaction of biology and energy fields the way he does. I am, however, having doubts about putting him in charge of the Biomentrics division. Especially since Ensign Landis has been continuously distracted by his calls for your resignation.

LANDIS
Sir, no... I'm sorry, sir, but... No, the Captain still isn't available... No, sir, I guarantee I didn't intend that to sound sarcastic... yes, sir, I've read your file... no, I can't say that I knew of you before reading the file, sir... that wasn't meant as an insult, sir... no, it's simply not my field of study...

SURAK
Ensign Landis, I'll take that call now. Dr. Kraczinski, I--

KRACZINSKI
It's about time, Captain! What kind of a ship are you running that--

SURAK
Dr. Kraczinski, I need to inform you that we're about to enter warp and I dont have the time at the moment to deal with disputes like the one in question. We can discuss it later, but for now I fully support the actions of Commander Englestadt and I'm ordering you to leave it at that.

KRACZINSKI
But--(BLEEP)

ENGLESTADT
Thank you, Captain.

SURAK
You are welcome. Now, I feel the time is right to cease keeping secrets from our crew. Computer, open a ship wide channel. (BLEEP) (INTERCOM FILTER) This is Captain Surak. Most of you have realized by now that we've withheld aspects of our mission parameters. This was merely a security precaution until the entire crew was assembled and the ship already en route. What you know so far is that a planet in Federation space [add sector?] which was previously believed to be uninhabitted, has now shown signs of early warp technology. The planet is surrounded by an energy field which disrupts scans or probes, but surface landings are possible and we are to oversee a First Contact scenario with whatever society occupies the surface. What you haven't been told is that we will not be the ones engaging in First Contact. The Romulans will.

(AUDIBLE GASPS)

SURAK
From the reactions of the crewmembers in my presence, I can see this comes as a shock, and understandably so. Our enmity with the Romulan Empire has been a long one, but recent events following their alliance with the Federation during the Dominion War has granted them diplomatic rights beyond the Neutral Zone. The discovery of warp signatures on this world were made by a Romulan ambassadorial ship currently establishing trade negotiations with several worlds within Federation territory. As they were the ones to make the discovery, it has been decided that they will engage in First Contact, and our assignment is to observe and offer whatever assistance may be necessary. I understand that this will test preconceptions deep within many of us, myself included, but I ask that we all step back from everything we've been taught about the Romulans since childhood and see this as a potential for bonds that could carry all our races into the future. That's not to say I want you to lower your guard entirely, but do be tactful in a way that best represents both the resiliancy and tolerace of Starfleet and the Federation. Be the best that our organization has to offer, not only as an example to the Romulan Empire, but to the new race which is still young in its experience among the stars. Now, everyone to your stations and prepare for warp. Computer, close channel. (BLEEP - END FILTER) Now, Mister Gennoc, as my former Commander used to say, it's time to put this show on the road.

GENNOC
Aye, Captain. Course laid in.

SURAK
Warp six. Engage.

No comments: